Tuesday, December 13, 2011

12th Day of Joy

It's that time of year when people are celebrating many different holidays and traditions.  My family and I celebrate Christmas.  We do the tree and Santa, cook a ton of food and consume too many cookies.  Over the years, Christmas has become so much more for me.  It is a time of reflection, graditutes, family, giving, charity, finding joy, and for slowing down and living life.  It all comes easliy for me, especially this time of year except the last one.  I'm hardwired to multitask.  I have an insane desire to do it all...myself.  

Since Thanksgiving I've been making a point to slow down and enjoy my family and the magic of this time of year.  I've even been enjoying the overcrowded stores this year (I can only say that because almost all of the gifts I'm giving this year were either handmade or purchased online).  

The girls are nearly four years old now and everything is so much fun to experience with them.    For the past few weeks, we've been honoring some old family traditions and starting new ones. 

For the next twelve days, I'll pop in and share some things that are bringing me joy this year. 

Making cinnamon applesauce ornaments.  Cinnamon has to be one of my favorite "home" smells.  I cook with it every morning and in the winter, I overload my home with the warm aroma.  I place the drying cookie sheets on top of my radiator and for two days the house smells incredible. 




This post is part of 12 Days of Joy where I am celebrating the holiday season by sharing simple little joys in my life.  See also: 
11th Day of Joy - A Handwritten Letter



2 comments :

Dee said...

That's great... you are starting traditions that will remain with them for a lifetime. I did the same thing with my children and they are 17 and 18 now. Merry Christmas to you.

Wylde Ivy said...

Thanks Dee! It is amazing to be touching the future.
Merry Christmas to you too!